Friday, October 19, 2012

Who are your ancestors in art?

Lately I have been having some great conversations in the grad painting studio... YEAH!... amazing right?  New fresh air has blown into the dept. .... and it feels goooood!

I was asked by my committee head.....who my antecedents (great new word I just learned, excited about that ...ha! ) in painting are?   Though I thought I always new where I fit.... this conversation led me to research this topic in a way that I could relate to.  Family.  Who is my uncle in the painting world?  who is my aunt... etc. etc.  So I have begun to build a family tree of my ancestors in art and I don't feel that it will be limited to just painters.

While researching, I  found a stronger personal voice that speaks to who I am NOT as a painter.  I unequivocally am not a "non- objective" painter.  So if I am described as such....we will have a debate...be prepared!

Otherwise, I  am in the hunt for those that came before me and what their story was that they had to tell.  

Their truth.

My truth is unfolding as we speak.

".....the world in on fire, Have a nice day!"


No comments:

Post a Comment