Sunday, April 25, 2010

April 25, 2010

It is upon us...the end of the semester. On my drive home from the studio the other night the reoccurring question popped back into my head, "what is art?"

So I started to wonder if anyone else has rethought this over-asked, but necessary question, and if their once original statement earlier on in the semester, has now changed.

I know mine has, perhaps even taken a slight step backwards?

I spoke with a member of my committee about his thoughts on why as artists we do what we do. He spoke of a famous artist who spoke often about this phenomenon of continuing to press forward as an artist, even if we fail. He said, that we see visually in our heads how we want a piece or even our art to look, so we chase after it, always striving to obtain that image in our heads and have our works of art match that image. Sometimes we get very close, but we never quit have it "right." So we chase after that image or body of work, some for a while, others for the rest of their lives.

Picasso was the artist that spoke often about this phenomenon, I think what he said holds alot of validity.
The chase is on!

2 comments:

  1. so what is it? is it the chase? i'd love a definition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats what is so great .....it cant be defined... thats why we continue to do what we do...it undefinable, yet our brains try to make sense of it...its a natural process of "brain function." I'm sure it has a medical name....but I don't know what it is. Happy chasing!

    ReplyDelete