Sunday, February 13, 2011

Feb. 13, 2011

I forgot why I love firing a gas kiln....the firing went well... (thanks to all who patiently helped me with the process)

Firing a gas kiln forces me to stay in the ceramic studio and work a long period of time...devoted to ceramics only. I LOVE it.

I learned that my dark clay body does not like to be refired. I lose the quality of "sexy bitch clay" (thanks Gracia for it's name! ) that I like so much.

I learned that I am going to have to experiment more with glazes. I really don't like any of the ones that I mixed.

I learned that I am going to have to try and fire to cone 10 if I want my red. This will be the next experiment.

I most learned that clay influences my painting and visa versa.

I don't have any exciting pictures to post of my work...but if you're interested to see my refired pieces they are in a box near my shelf. I need a "better" clear glaze...any help will be appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. What are you firing to? I have a cone 6 semi-gloss clear if you want to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure.....i fired the mohawk to cone 6 red. It was a "good" fire.. no problems... It fired evenly etc. It must have been the happy kiln fire dance I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and it starts. Welcome to the world of eternal glaze testing. Many have come, few have prevailed. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks! I'm not skeeeerededddddd....*knees buckling*

    ReplyDelete